FOX10 News is digging deeper into why a man convicted of assaulting a police officer was able to stay out of jail, despite violating his bond over and over again.

Adam Bond was arrested for his alleged involvement in a deadly home invasion in Foley last week while prosecutors were waiting on a bond hearing.  Right now he’s charged with burglary and robbery, but he could also face a murder charge.

Bond has been in and out of jail for the last 14 years, and according to court documents, in just the last four months, he violated his bond at least eight different times. Despite that, the longest time he’s spent in jail at once is six days.

“Sometimes we have to almost have a full blown trial just to get enough evidence in front of a judge so that the judge will revoke the bond,” said Baldwin County District Attorney Bob Wilters. “It’s not a simple system that we are operating in.”

Wilters also says underfunding and understaffing are also issues contributing to the problem.

Bond’s history with the law

In 2005, Bond pleaded guilty to assaulting a Foley Police Officer. According to court documents, he tried to run from the officer and then hit the officer in the head several times during the arrest.

In August 2016, Bond was arrested for receiving stolen property. He bailed out two days later.

In November 2016, Bond was arrested and his tire business was raided for allegedly serving as a drug market. Again, he made bail.

Then in December 2016, Bond went to jail and was charged with possession of a pistol as a violent felon. Six days later he bailed out with the condition he’d stay on house arrest and have to wear a GPS ankle monitor.

Here’s where the alleged bond violations start adding up.

Prosecutors say on January 4th, 18th, 30th and February 6th, Bond let his GPS monitor die.

Then on February 1st prosecutors say Bond tested positive for meth and even admitted he violated terms of his bond. Prosecutors say he didn’t bother to even show up for his drug test on February 6th.

A motion to revoke bond wasn’t filed until February 10th.

A week later, on the 17th judge William Scully set a hearing for that motion which was supposed to be held March 6th…But while prosecutors were waiting on that hearing, police say Bond was involved in a deadly home invasion.  His alleged partner in crime was shot dead by the homeowner.

“We have to be reactive. We can’t be proactive too many times without going through the steps,” Wilters said. “Regretfully once something happens in a crime of violence then we can react a heck of a lot quicker than we can if it’s a failed drug test or a missed drug test.”

Wilters says the delay was fairly normal in this case. His office had to build a case proving that Bond violated his bond. Then he says scheduling often takes time because of overbooked, under-funded judges and prosecutors.

“We’re doing the best we can with what we’ve got, and yeah I think we had a fairly quick response time to the info we received on this defendant and a judge set it what I would consider fairly quickly,” he said.

But Wilters says the reality is, the wheels of justice tend to move slowly.

“Is it frustrating? Yes it’s frustrating, but again, and I may be tainted myself having worked in the system for as long as I have,” Wilters said. “It’s just something, that I don’t want to say we accept it as being normal, but it kind of is. It kind of is the normal way.”

Court documents show the DA’s office did file at least three motions to revoke bond, but two of them were withdrawn. It’s unclear why prosecutors didn’t follow through on those motions.

Tonight Adam Bond is being held on no bond.